Monday, March 7, 2011

Do you want to buy a coffee shop?


Last week was the final week before our little coffee shop in town closed. I can tell you we were not frequent visitors though, can you guess why? The cost! But we did have 2 gift cards to there that had to get used up before it changes hands. So Mr. Bacon treated me all last week to chocolate turtle coffee in the morning. YUM! They were so good, it's probably a good thing they are closed now! My pocket book for sure wouldn't be able to keep up since just a small was $3.50! Sigh... but they were good. And I kinda missed the turtle drinks over the weekend. So I set out to find my own version I could make for pennies at home. Guess what, I found one! Mr. Bacon approved and we've been sipping on them all morning. I just had to hop on here and let my readers know how they can get an amazing coffee house drink right at home for cheap. Oh and the other good news, no special machines or equipment needed!



Here is what you need:
Milk
Vanilla carmel coffee creamer
Chocolate ice cream topping




Oh and some coffee. You can use espresso if you have it, I don't. So I just used regular coffee. You can add more zip in your coffee by making a small 4 cup pot and brewing double strength coffee (use double the coffee). We tried this before bed last night, lets just say extra caffeine at night time for Ma Bacon isn't the best idea!

Take a regular size coffee mug and place 1 TBSP vanilla carmel coffee creamer and 1.5 TBSP chocolate ice cream syrup in the bottom of the mug. Next fill the cup so it's half full of coffee and mix well.

Now you need to prepare your frothy milk. Take a 16oz container that has a lid. A pint canning jar works well for this. Add in 1/2 cup milk (any kind works, we prefer to drink skim here and I'm sure it helps cut some of the calories out of this drink too). Screw the lid on the jar and shake it vigorously for 30-45 seconds until the milk doubles in size. Little Miss Bacon was quite happy to help with this step.

Next unscrew and remove the lid. Place the jar in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Watch this carefully, you want the foam to rise to the top of the jar, but not overflow it!

Carefully remove the jar. It should be warm but not so hot you need to use a hot pad to take it out. With a spoon carefully hold back the foam and pour the hot milk into your coffee drink. Mix well. Now you can spoon the foam on top of the coffee. I like to mix some if it into the coffee and add an extra scoop to the top! If I had some cool-whip I would have added a dollop of that to the top as well, perhaps a drizzle of more chocolate too!



I guess there is no need for us to buy that coffee shop after all. Fast, delicious coffee treat for pennies instead of paying the big bucks for it! ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. If I could find a good location to sell coffee then yeah, maybe. Otherwise, I'll just buy it for less online at CoffeeForLess.com :)

    ReplyDelete