Friday, May 6, 2011

It's even better than it looks!


Amazing isn't it? Like one of those pieces of cake you drool over in the glass case at the restaurant. Only without the $6 a slice price tag. Even better is that it's all home made and total for the whole cake cost about $6! This is one of Mr. Bacon's favorite cakes, Cheesecake. Even better that it's a Mocha chocolate cheesecake with chocolate ganache. I don't often make this cake, can you guess why? Honestly it is probably better for me to rub it directly on my hips, than eat it. It would probably come off easier that way too! But when I do make it, I savor EVERY.SINGLE.BITE. And I don't like to share it either!

This would be the perfect cake to make for mother's day coming up. I'm sure your mom might be surprised by how it tastes. Or perhaps leave the recipe up for your wonderful better half to find and make for you. Ahh, you're worried they'd burn the kitchen down?! Ok so even if you have to make it for yourself, hide out in the bathtub with a big slice of this cheesecake, a glass of wine and a good book and treat yourself for all that hard work. (even if you're not a mom!)

Ok normally I have great pictures that help walk you step by step though my kitchen making process, but to be truthful, I forgot last night. It was late, I made those wonderful donut muffins for Mr. Bacon's breakfast too and didn't even think of my camera. But I have some mouth-watering after shots!


Mocha chocolate cheesecake:
2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers or sandwich cookies (like oreos)
5 tbsp butter - melted
3- 8oz cream cheese, softened
1.5 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp instant coffee
3 tbsp Kahlua or coffee liquor
2 tbsp cocoa powder
5 tbsp espresso coffee

Preheat oven to 325*. Crush crackers or cookies in a large baggie. Add melted butter. Seal the baggie and mush together until moist. Dump the cookie crumb mix into a spring form cheese cake pan and press firmly to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Place the pan in the fridge to chill. In mixing bowl (I happily use my kitchenaid mixer- who I have named Gertie) place cream cheese and sugar and mix together. Add eggs, one at a time and mix between each one. Place 1/4 of this mix in a separate bowl, and set aside. In the bowl with the remaining batter, add in flour, instant coffee (I use Maxwell house international cafe) and liquor, mix well.

Don't worry about the liquor, the alcohol will cook off when it bakes. If you don't want or have the coffee liquor, you can replace it with water. I'd mix the water and the instant coffee together first and then add it to the cream cheese mix.

Pour this mixture over the crust. Take remaining 1/4 of batter and mix in cocoa powder and espresso (If you don't have espresso, just brew up some strong coffee!) into cream cheese batter. Pour this on top of the other cheese cake mix.

Place the cheesecake into the oven and let it be! Bake it for 50-60 minutes until fluffy. It's ok if it cracked too. Take it out and let if cook on the counter for a bit (the cake will fall, so don't worry about that either) and then for 4hrs to overnight in the fridge. I found that for my cheesecakes to turn out, it's best to make them when the pitter patter of tiny feet are not running around! The cake rises better and is more fluffy.

Once it's completely cool, it's time to add the chocolate ganache. This is why it's better to plan ahead if you are making this cake and do this step the next morning.

Chocolate Ganache:
9oz chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream

In sauce pan, heat cream until boiling. Remove from heat and add in chocolate. Stir until melted and creamy. Let the ganache cool 5 min and then pour over the top of your cheesecake. Put the cake back in the fridge to chill until you need to serve it. Or can't stand it any longer and NEED to have a piece of it!

For a fancy touch for mom's big day, add a swirl of chocolate syrup underneath.


Garnish the top if you'd like. I thought it looked great and tasted yummy with a dollop of cool whip and a few mini chocolate chips sprinkled over the top.




Indulge and enjoy every bite of it. We did!

1 comment:

  1. My little boy came in as I was reading and said, "Mom I want THAT!" Hey, what can I say? The boy's got good taste! LOL

    ReplyDelete