Monday, April 25, 2011

Whats on Bacon Bits plate?

Remember when I made these cute little cubes for Bacon bit? We'll I've made a LOT more since then. Bacon bit is now 7 months old (how did that happen?!) and he's eating more now. We've found though some trial and error and pulling my hair out that Bacon bit prefers his food to be a bit more thick than most babies. If we get anything runny near him he clamps his jaws shut and turns his head. Oh the battle over food starts already! The good thing is that since I'm making his food, I can control just how thick it is. He's also decided he as quite a palate and will not eat anything that is bland, such as most store bought baby food. So I had to start getting creative in the kitchen. Here are a few of his favorite recipes he wanted me to share with you!

Baked apple prune:

2 large apples or 3 small cored, it's ok to use 2 different 'kinds' of apples too!

1/2 tsp cinnamon

9 dried prunes

Make a pouch out of tinfoil, set apples in cut side up. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and add prunes. Add 1/2 cup water or apple juice. Bake 350* until apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove 1/2 to all apple peels. Place everything including juice in blender, puree & freeze. Sometimes I also run the puree though my kidco food mill to make sure the skins are well broken down. It gives it a smooth consistency and I make sure there are no chunks too big that he'll choke on that might have been missed when pureeing in the blender.

Lots of baked up goodness for Bacon Bit's belly!

Sweet potato & Pumpkin:

(this tastes like pumpkin pie!)

2 sweet potatoes

1/2 can pumpkin puree (or about 1 cup) NOT pumpkin pie filling

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cut sweet potatoes in 1/2. Place cut side down on pan and add enough water until they it covers 1/2" of potato. Bake sweet potatoes in oven 350* until tender or about 45 min. Let cool on the pan (this also allows for them to soak back up some of the water they sat in.) Peel off skin and discard. Blend with pumpkin and cinnamon in blender or process though food mill. If it looks too think you can add up to 1/2 cup liquid when blending. Pour into your cubes and freeze.




And if you haven't figured it out yet, I like to multitask! So I decided to bake some bread that day too. I got a bit sick when I saw the price of a loaf of bread at the grocery store the other day. I knew I needed to get in gear and just start making our own bread. I tried a new recipe for oat bread. Well, either it was the weather, or being too busy, or something... but it didn't turn out. I even took a picture to share, yeast and I don't always get along! It did still taste good, it was a more heavy bread, sadly I just can't say no to bread! I'll keep searching for a great homemade bread and keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Looking at your food cubes, I sort of miss those days (sort of)! I have a good 100% whole wheat bread recipe if your are intersted. Check out my blog and look under the recipes tab (I have several whole wheat recipes for buns/rolls/etc. that are good).

    www.52babysteps.blogspot.com

    I love the Bacon bit name. It cracks me up every time you make a reference to him! =)

    ReplyDelete